Thursday, January 17, 2008

Depression

I picked up The Complete Peanuts recently and and after reading through it, I found this strip stood out to me the most.

I was really surprised how morbid the early Peanuts strips were.
On the surface the characters seem cute and happy, but the situations they fall into often express deep feelings of loneliness and resentment.The theme of the comic seems to be: Life is full of suffering, even when you're a little kid.
I admire Charles Schulz's honesty in putting his own personal feelings into his work.Charlie Brown and his friends have a desperate humanity to them that I can identify with.


I did this drawing to show how it feels to be the one person alienated at a party.

5 Comments:

Blogger D Gill said...

Hey Rick, interesting art, reminds me of some of stage's art pieces from '02, here's a link http://www.visualorgasm.com/listviewer.asp?writerid=218&type=books the fourth from the top on the left column,

I have noticed the depressing nature of Peanuts, but I just thought it was poking fun at introspection, like you said even as a kid...

Schulz didn't have much to be depressed about I'm sure, have you seen his interview on youtube by Charlie Rose?

5:44 PM  
Blogger Rick Capistrano said...

His mother died of cancer right before he went off to fight in WWII; I'm sure that made an impact on him, as it definitely would've on me.

oh ya,i tried typing in your link; it doesn't work.

9:33 PM  
Blogger D Gill said...

I never knew him, I know he sat on his ass all day and was a self-made millionaire! ;)

Also, I cut and paste the link and it worked...

1:12 PM  
Blogger keith wilson said...

Awesome, i like the party drawing, especially the chick with the big smile. I ve been that guy before, one time I ended up at some random house party full of law students.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Rick Capistrano said...

thanx Keith, I know you been there too..and you know how much it sucks.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home